Essential Jewelry: Bauble Shop

Monday, July 23, 2012

The Bricks: Proverbs 1

I want to be wiser. I want to have the wisdom to immediately know how to handle certain situations in a way that honors God. I want to have a house that is God focused, and someday raise children who care more about their purpose on earth than who the world tells them they should be. In order to do this, I believe I need to be studying scripture daily, and in order to hold myself accountable, I want to share with you what God teaches me. 
Proverbs 1

  1.  These are the proverbs of Solomon, David’s son, king of Israel.

Their purpose is to teach people wisdom and discipline,

    to help them understand the insights of the wise.

Their purpose is to teach people to live disciplined and successful lives,

    to help them do what is right, just, and fair.

These proverbs will give insight to the simple,
    knowledge and discernment to the young.
Let the wise listen to these proverbs and become even wiser.

    Let those with understanding receive guidance

by exploring the meaning in these proverbs and parables,

    the words of the wise and their riddles.

Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge,

    but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

I read Mark last night, because I thought the Lord was going to have me start with the life of Jesus, and how he lived, but this morning He said Proverbs. 
If I want to be wise, I should study the Proverbs. Simple enough. 
My child,[a] listen when your father corrects you.
    Don’t neglect your mother’s instruction.
What you learn from them will crown you with grace
    and be a chain of honor around your neck.
10 My child, if sinners entice you,
    turn your back on them!
11 They may say, “Come and join us.
    Let’s hide and kill someone!
    Just for fun, let’s ambush the innocent!
12 Let’s swallow them alive, like the grave[b];
    let’s swallow them whole, like those who go down to the pit of death.
13 Think of the great things we’ll get!
    We’ll fill our houses with all the stuff we take.
14 Come, throw in your lot with us;
    we’ll all share the loot.”
15 My child, don’t go along with them!
    Stay far away from their paths.
16 They rush to commit evil deeds.
    They hurry to commit murder.
17 If a bird sees a trap being set,
    it knows to stay away.
18 But these people set an ambush for themselves;
    they are trying to get themselves killed.
19 Such is the fate of all who are greedy for money;
    it robs them of life.

It is so easy as an adult, especially when I was in college, to say- "I am grown, I don't need to obey my parent's rules anymore," but I have been learning a LOT lately about how God gave us parents to help us understand HIM. Our parents gave us rules, just like God does, not to restrict us or ruin our fun, but to protect us because they love us. If we can not figure out how to respect, honor, and obey our parents, how will we EVER be able to do the same for God?
I expected that peer pressure would disappear when I graduated from college, but honestly I think it is different, far worse, and more serious as an adult. As an adult, I have the "RIGHT" to make my own decisions, which seems to mean to many people that you are old enough to live a life of sin because you have FREEDOM (no accountability). Now is when it matters most that we try and figure out the WHY behind the rules when we are making our decisions. WHY did GOD, and/or our parents not want us to hang around certain people or places, behave or partake in things, before we decide to dive into the things of this world. If we knew that the things that are considered gray areas in our Christian culture were not going to benefit our life in any way, and could have some serious consequences.... would we still do them. I am too old to think I am invincible to addiction - and that we can become addicted to many things (from alcohol, working, sports or tv, to texting while I drive to or couponing or any other obsession). I don't want any of these things to control my actions, dictate my choices, or change my life. I pray that I may be wise enough to consider fully the consequences (good and bad) of choices before I make them. 

I pray:
James 1:5
If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...