Thursday, February 2, 2012

Day 2 of the Love Challenge & Paper Valentines Mail Boxes

Choose to be an Encouragement
Choose to be your husband's biggest fan. If you have read the book Love & Respect by Emerson Eggerichs then you know that men feel most loved when they feel respected. Choose to be an encouragement for the next 13 days with a small note of affirmation each morning. You could even make these adorable mailboxes to leave your notes in, or you could just hide them in their briefcase or lunch. 


I made ours with scrapbook paper. I found the pattern on BHG.com, but altered it a little. 
Here is the PDF pattern- I already blew it up for you and it can be printed directly on the scrapbook paper.
Flag (I made my flag out of the scraps)

1. You can start with scrapbook paper or card stock. I didn't use reversible paper- but it would have been even cuter if I had!! Paper: Serendipity by K& Company.
2. Then I cut my 12 x 12 paper to 8.5 wide so it would fit through my printer. Save the extras you cut off for later. 
3. Load in your printer and print your patterns on there. (I loaded my tops upside down on accident, but it didn't end up mattering.)
4. Cut out your patterns, ONLY CUT ALONG THE STRAIGHT LINES- the dotted lines are for folding. 
5. Fold along the dotted lines. 


6.I used hot glue, but you can use any type of glue you would like, I am just impatient.
7. Attach the pieces and tuck in the foldy parts of the back {door?}. You can glue a scrap on the {floor} of the mail box it it looks naked to you. 
8. Cut or punch a tiny hole for some ribbon, and push through using a pencil or knitting needle, whatever you have on hand, then glue the the inside ends down. 
9. I didn't love that the inside was still so naked, so I decided to try a different order. I glued the ends on the base first, then lined the {floor} and inside of the door with one piece of scrap paper. This made it very hard to fold, so I had to score the interior fold seam with my blade. 
10. Attach the top, and see which you like better. They look pretty similar, except the first one closes a little better.
11. Now for a lock/ latch -get creative- I grabbed a button with a shank (the stem thing). 
12. Make a big pile of glue and lightly press the button in.
13. Attach the flag (you can print the one above, or just cut one out of your scraps) with a brad so it can go up and down when you get love mail. 

If this seems like too much work you could just decorate a craft store mailbox like these from The Anderson Family Crew, I found on Pinterest.

PRAYER for TODAY
...Love is Kind...
Pray today that your loved ones will be kind. Pray that they will be a reflection of Christ in this kindness and effect someone else's day for the better. Pray that you will also be a kind encouragement to people in your life. 
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never Fails... 1 Cor 13:4-8a