Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Pinterest Addicts Rejoice: How to pin from your iPhone

I love my iPhone and I love Pinterest, but I did not love pinteresting on my iPhone. Why? because there is not "pin it" button. The pin it button on my computer lets me pin anything on the internet to my pin boards, but on my phone I was limited to only repining what others had discovered. I love pinning new things, and I like to pin links back to my blog, but I couldn't do either on the go until NOW!
T stumbled across this tutorial from SimplyTheNest.com on how to do it on your iPhone, and I am eternally grateful. 

the following is an excerpt from www.simplythenest.com
First of all, you need to modify an existing bookmark on your iPhone. Select any old bookmark, and click Edit. Change the name of the bookmark to Pinterest (or Da Bomb, it's entirely up to you), and copy/paste the following into the URL window:
javascript:void((function(){var%20e=document.createElement('script'); e.setAttribute('type','text/javascript'); e.setAttribute('charset','UTF-8'); e.setAttribute('src','http://assets.pinterest.com/js/pinmarklet.js?r='+Math.random()*99999999);document.body.appendChild(e)})());
It looks like a chunk of random characters, but it comes out in a nice long line in the URL window. Then click Done, and Done.
This code is taken from Pinterest's blog, and is part of their instructions for using Pinterest on the iPad. I figured what the heck, I'd try it on the iPhone - and lo and behold, while it doesn't work the way they describe (it's supposed to add the Pinterest bookmarklet to the toolbar), it works just fine in a completely different way.
So here's what you do next. When you come across an image that you'd like to pin (in this example, I'm going to pin an image from my blog), click Bookmarks at the bottom of the window. Note that you shouldn't open a new window - stay on the webpage with your chosen image, and just hit the Bookmarks icon.
Locate your Pinterest bookmark, and click it. This runs some nifty kind of magic on the webpage with your chosen image, and pulls out all the images into a grid. Select the image you want to pin, and click Pin This.   
You will then be taken to your Pinterest account, where you can add a category, description, and tags.
Freaking awesome, or what? It's hard to believe that I'm apparently the first person on Google to figure this one out (or perhaps more accurately the only person on Google who figured it out and wrote a blog post about it and uses a blogging provider who gets me into the top ten on Google for "Pinterest iPhone") but then again I'm spending large amounts of time awake at 1am, and 3am, and 5am... and therefore have plenty of time to mess around with various forms of online geekery.
Now, it's not a perfect solution. If you want to pin more than one image from the same page, you have to run the Pinterest bookmark every time. And sometimes you need to get the image onto its own page and then run Pinterest. And it doesn't work on Flickr. But I'm delighted to have figured out how to use Pinterest to pin images from the iPhone 

Thank you Simply The Nest (simplythenest.com) for posting this tutorial for how to pin from your iPhone.
This is not a paid endorsement of this blog, I just thought you might find this information useful.