Friday, July 6, 2012

Let the Canning Begin!

WD and I took the girls I've been keeping to the Dekalb Farmers Market in Atlanta yesterday. 
(Unfortunately, there were big signs saying no photos.... and since I am a rule follower, I borrowed these shots from another blogger.)
http://nouveaugourmand.wordpress.com/
http://nouveaugourmand.wordpress.com/

We went anticipating I would be able to teach the girls about canning, and also can enough produce this summer to get us through the fall and winter without having to buy anything in aluminum cans (since aluminum cans are lined with harmful BPA.)
SO LET THE CANNING BEGIN!
 Today the girls and I made roasted garlic tomato sauce and canned white corn. We were able to use the boiling water bath and pressure cooker methods to learn about the different processes. 
 It was really fun, but we were very glad we did not have to do this in a house, in the summer before, air conditioning. 
 I still have a fridge full of vegetables to can, but I love it because I feel so vintage canning in my apron!