Monday, June 30, 2014

Oven Makeover

I LOVE my double oven. I mean, even though it's nearly 50 years old, it still works like a charm, and the thought of replacing it with something "affordable" makes me want to cry. But lets be honest. It was a bit of an eyesore. 
I loved that it was original, and has such a cute retro panel- I just can't part with it. 
So what did I do? I painted it.

With car engine paint. It's safe up to 500 degrees (which means the outside of the oven would have to be 500 degrees- we would be in serious trouble if that happened.) Engine paint comes in adorable colors for people who have hot rods or vintage show cars!
 I grabbed this color, and an engine primer for about $10 at a local overstock warehouse. It has been painted for almost 3 months, cooked in a LOT, and it STILL looks great! 
I also changed out my handles! Maybe these will not get caught on my clothes all the time.