Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Metallic Nature Apothecary Jar

 I found some fantastic Apothecary jars at TJMaxx and knew they were going to be the perfect addition to my holiday style. I was trying to think of an inexpensive way to fill them. I decided since I have a plethora of sweet gum balls (at least that is what we call them in the South) and these adorable mini pine cones in my yard, I would start there. 

I collected a small bucket of each, and put them in a shirt box to paint. I wanted them to appear like they came from an enchanted forest, not the craft store. So I intentionally misted them lightly with color so their natural color would show through. The pinecones are painted bronze, the sweet gum balls gold, and in my third jar some holly berries are painted silver. 


I am thinking I will turn them into ornaments for my Christmas tree, but I will re-spray them before that so they are covered completely. 
Pin It